The TED tagline is: "Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world"
So get interesting person, make them talk, film it, release. You can view previous ones on the TED site. The quality of the experience therefore depends very much on the interestingness of the speaker.
eg:
http://www.ted.com/talks/torsten_reil_studies_biology_to_make_animation.html
"Torsten Reil talks about how the study of biology can help make natural-looking animated people -- by building a human from the inside out, with bones, muscles and a nervous system. He spoke at TED in 2003; see his work now in GTA4."
or
http://www.ted.com/talks/olafur_eliasson_playing_with_space_and_light.html
"In the spectacular large-scale projects he's famous for (such as "Waterfalls" in New York harbor), Olafur Eliasson creates art from a palette of space, distance, color and light. This idea-packed talk begins with an experiment in the nature of perception."

TEDx are local events following the same model

Alex Mace wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is TED? A quite look at the website tells me plenty about signing up and events going on, but nothing at all about what it is...