On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 22:32, David Tomlinson <d.tomlin...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, I am aware of this, but why five years, why not one year why not three
> months, and if three months, why at all.

Well done. You've re-discovered the Sorites Paradox.
<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sorites-paradox/>

But the copyright industry discovered it first.

One thing the American Founding Fathers got right is that the test
should be public benefit - whether it benefits the "useful Arts and
Sciences". What they got wrong was not being a bit more specific about
the "limited time" provision.

I mean, yes, life plus seventy years is a "limited time" when you
consider it cosmically. Given that someone is likely to produce their
greatest work in their thirties or forties, given a reasonable life
expectancy of 70-80 years, we are talking a century.

I think a decade or two is long enough for the "useful Arts and
Sciences" to benefit from a work.

The problem with copyright is a perceptual one: people see
"intellectual property" and they focus on the second word. It's
property, they think. It's like a house or a car - I *own* it.

No you don't. You are leasing it from humanity. And all that
inspiration that led you to the point of creating the work has
external costs. The artist wanders around the National Gallery. The
writer reads books in libraries. The moviemaker watches other movies.
Everyone goes to school. Many go to university. Feel free to insert
Locke's labour-mixing argument here. (In the case of the BBC, which we
all pay for if we have TVs, it's completely apparent that we have a
moral stake in as much as we are required to pay for it if we want to
watch TV. But we own a stake in every other type of cultural
production too because no cultural work - at least nothing of any
value - exists in a vacuum.)

But again, I say, we have a Sorites problem. Unless you cope with the
problem, you either end up saying we should have an infinite copyright
term or no copyright at all. Yes, if we were to say 10 years
extendable to 20, we'd face accusations of arbitrariness. But life+70
years is arbitrary too. Except it isn't. It's arbitrary in the same
way that a badly regulated banking sector is arbitrary - it's done
that way because certain people are profiting greatly from locking us
away from our cultural birthright.

How do we resolve the Sorites problem inherent in copyright and all
intellectual property that has a temporal limit built-in? Simple. We
use a Rawlsian original position thought experiment modified to cope
with the same situation. Imagine that you were taken back to an
original position. You were placed behind a veil of ignorance. You
don't know whether when you are put into the world whether you are
going to be Walt Disney or Richard Stallman. You don't know if you
will be a Napster user or a member of Metallica. You don't know if you
are going to be a copyright creator, a copyright reuser or whatever.
Now decide on your principles.

I think that given this thought experiment, a short-term copyright can
be justified. Life+70 years is inequitable on Rawlsian grounds. The
only people who can seriously think Life+70 years is equitable are the
children of pop stars who will be collecting royalty cheques for the
rest of their life for doing absolutely sweet bugger all. Just because
your mum or dad is a pop star doesn't mean that the law should provide
you with a guaranteed income. Two generations of my family have made
their money in the printing trade. I have a feeling that the next two
generations are not. Boo hoo. They've got to find a different calling
in life.

The other problem with morality-of-IP debates is that we do not get to
see the real cost of what doesn't happen because of IP laws. It's very
easy to throw out a counterfactual like "if we didn't have strong
copyright protection, we'd never have The Beatles". But I'm pretty
sure that for every quite reasonable counterfactual of that sort,
there are a fair amount of flipsides - "if we didn't have strong
copyright protection, we'd have had (some other thing we can't tell
you because it never happened)". I can't tell you about the great
singer we never had because of copyright limitations. I can only
vaguely hint at it. The rhetorical force of specific counter-factuals
has a great deal of weight compared to very general counter-factuals.
But when it comes down to brass tacks, there isn't much to either of
them. Are we really saying that if copyright had been 5 years shorter,
the Beatles would never have existed? That seems ridiculous. (Hey, the
Sorites problem works for counterfactuals too!)

We can see it a bit more with technology stuff: we can see plenty of
things which are perfectly legal to do with open source but which you
can't do with closed source software and argue by analogy. There's a
reason there are a hundred different Linux window managers - it's
partly cultural, but it's also partly because of the liberty that
software writers have to do that. But if you are arguing for a
dramatic change to IP law, the best you can come up with is a very
clumsy list of rather arbitrary and strange concrete counter-factuals
like "hey, did you know, we could have more window managers if we did
this" (or whatever). Okay, great. Not very convincing, is it?

As an analogy for why I don't really like these counterfactual
arguments about copyright and IP, let me point to an analogy. Some
people who argue that abortion should be illegal provide a very bad
argument against abortion which circulates around called the Beethoven
argument. It goes like this:

"If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three
who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had
syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?"
(There are different variants, but the general gist is the same.)

After reciting this, they wait for you to say "Yes", at which point
they say "My oh my. You've just told Beethoven's mother to abort the
greatest musical genius ever!" or words to that effect.
(Again, sometimes it's Einstein or Martin Luther King or Jesus or whoever.)

There are factual problems with the argument - feel free to consult
Wikipedia if you care about the details of Beethoven's family
situation. But the problem is that the counter-factual doesn't
actually provide you with good reason to not abort the child. There is
no way of knowing that any potential child is a genius until it
becomes one. We haven't yet got some kind of magic device we can wave
at pre-born infants to find out whether they are going to grow up to
be serial killers or serial bestseller writers. (And even if we did,
we'd have some pretty serious ethical objections to doing so.) You
can't derive any relevant moral duties from the counterfactual because
the counterfactual represents more knowledge than it is possible to
ever have in situations of that type. That one counterfactual doesn't
rule out other counterfactuals - imagine a woman who is pregnant with
Future Hitler, someone who is predestined to become a ruthless
dictator and murderer. She decides to have an abortion. Because she
didn't give birth to this child, some causal connection causes her to
become pregnant again and give birth to, oh, Future Mandela, some
beacon of hope, charity and humanity. Does the latter sequence of
events 'cancel out' the former? If you can infer the immorality of
abortion in the Beethoven case, does the killing of Future Hitler and
the creation of Future Mandela in the second counter-factual justify
abortion?

So, yeah, counter-factuals seem like a bad way to go in the debate
unless there is some nice way of finding a neutral, scientifically
respectable way of measuring the actual outcomes of different
intellectual property scenarios. Is macroeconomics a science yet? ;)

Sorry for prattling on for so long.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>