2009/11/20 John O'Donovan <john.odono...@bbc.co.uk>

> Thanks Mo, Hi Brian.
>
> We thought long and hard about this, but basically we think it's an
> improvement.

Surely the idea should be to demonstrate that something is an improvement,
rather than just changing it.

As I pointed out if you calculate the reading score for these longer
headlines, they score higher, meaning they are less good to those (unlike
ourselves) who have lower reading skills.

For higher skilled people, they just take longer to scan.

If you said it was for SEO, that would be fine.  But for usability, it
sucks.

> For example, this headline may be short, but what is the article really
> about?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7390109.stm
> "Great tits cope well with warming"

That's just a fantastic headline.

> As an example, I think for this story:
>
> "Procter & Gamble recalls 120,000 Vicks nasal sprays"
>
> ...is much clearer than...
>
> "Thousands of Vicks spray recalled"
>
> Especially if you don't know what Vicks is.

Why would I be interested in this story if I don't use the product.  I would
suspect that MORE people don't know what a Procter & Gamble is.

> John O'Donovan
> Chief Technical Architect
>

> BBC Future Media & Technology (Journalism)
> BC3 C1, Broadcast Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/briantist