Mo McRoberts wrote:
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:41, Kieran Kunhya <kie...@kunhya.com> wrote:
I like the way Ofcom have totally missed the point about Linux/Open Source
presuming it refers to STBs running Linux.

The reality is, STB manufacturers don't really have the luxury of being able to:

a) ignore the licensing terms of the open source DVB stacks;
b) reverse-engineer the decoding tables;
c) obtain the tables from the BBC but breach the non-disclosure terms; or
d) release a box which doesn't support FVHD

...even if they wanted to.

There is a third alternative.
B) obtain the decoded tables from a third party in a country where this decryption is not illegal.

I am unsure of the legality of this. It would of course imply that the device would need an internet connection - but...