On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 15:07, Steffan Davies <st...@steff.name> wrote:

> Couldn't agree more - the idea is daft and my suggestion was purely a
> implementation suggestion in the light of that daftery. Quite HD is so
> intrinsically different from standard DVB-T that it needs to be
> encumbered in this way is beyond me.

Even if you were to, hypothetically, accept that it was somehow
different, a lot of the content being talked about as “needing
protection” is imported: premium US TV shows, films and the like. The
copy-protection regime being talked about here doesn’t exist in the US
(the FCC specifically prohibited it), and so if they’re going to
circulate illicitly, chances are they’ll come from the US—rendering
the whole thing moot.

This bizarre view that programmes almost don’t exist until they’re
aired in the UK (and that consumers won’t be aware of them) is played
out by the Ofcom consultation document, which talks specifically about
content being aired for the first time _in this UK_ — which will, in
general, be at an absolute bare minimum a day or two after it was
screened in the US. It’s almost as though Ofcom (and the BBC, and
distributors) believe the illicit file-sharing is bound by
geographical restrictions, though that’s  so crazy it can’t possibly
be true…

M.