> For 720p25 you might need more than 3.5Mbps for more
> demanding scenes. (Except increasing the bitrate or using a
> better encoder will make iPlayer look better than the
> broadcast...)
>
> You do get an awful lot better results when you
> are not compressing in real time, of course, because you
> can use all the MPEG4 forward references, the ones you
> don't get when you real time encode.

Real-time encoding with Bi-predictive frames (B-frames) in H.264 doesn't work
like that. There's a frame delay in order for B-frame encoding to take place.
Most encoders worth their while also have a lookahead for deciding frame-types
and bit rate allocation. (Sometimes this is called "2-pass" realtime, which is
a bit of a misnomer for marketing reasons. Some marketing people for
manufacturers seem to spread this myth that more passes is always better).

Using x264 with a recent CPU, if you ran it at realtime even at 720...@3mbit
you'd most likely do better than the £50k+ broadcast encoder at 1080i merely
because we're generations ahead of most (if not all) of the H.264 hardware and
software out there. Naturally, with 2-pass you can allocate bits more
efficiently but the benefits aren't as significant as they once were.