Possibly- the specific file formats we need to encode to to upload to
iplayer are pretty standard, but the way we make these films is using a 3rd
party editor (he's great by the way).  Delivering finished films from his
home edit suite to us is proving maddeningly unreliable- a combination of
his home internet connection, a Mac

I think I see his problem. ;)

<ducks and runs>

But seriously, how old is the Mac? I noticed some older Macs at my old Uni
had problems with a couple of my USB sticks, although they were USB2.0 and
everything-else-compatible. Just seemingly refused to work.

Likewise, the inbuilt Superdrive on the MBP I'm currently using at work (to
control my PC at home through VNC :P) just epic fails to read some DVDs, and
it can't burn DVD+DLs either. On the latest available firmware, all system
updates applied and running 10.5.8. Never managed to figure out the problem,
ended up having to use an external Lite-On and occupy one of its two
precious USB ports.

(At least with PCs I can successfully diagnose most problems, I can't fathom
the reason for why half of the problems I have with Macs even come about in
the first place!)