On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 15:14, Adam Bradley <a...@doublegeek.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Mo McRoberts <m...@nevali.net> wrote:
>>
>> the BBC had a choice:
>> a) do nothing
>>
>> b) do something which didn't achieve the desired effect, and caused
>> additional negative effects
>>
>> it chose (b), because the rights-holders threw their toys out of the pram.
>>
>> now, either this is because the people who know that this is the case
>> couldn't make themselves heard, or because stopping piracy wasn't the
>> goal in the first place. which is it?
>
> This is an interesting question, because I can't see what the goal here is
> from the BBC. Did they genuinely believe the rights-holders' bluff?

I honestly think they might have done. Ofcom certainly did, and
they're supposed to know about this stuff.

this raises a more interesting question: -why- did the rights-holders
make the demand in the first place? they surely know just as well as
we do that this isn't any solution to the piracy problem (whatever you
might perceive that to be).