On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:03, David Tomlinson
<d.tomlin...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> It is a legal obligation for the BBC (and other public service broadcasters)
> to make it's services available to the public and act in a
> non-discriminatory way to all third parties (in my view).
^^^^^

In *your* view, based upon your reading of the obligations handed down
to the corporation. If only it were ever that easy.

the fact is, the BBC considers the DTG to be a non-partisan
organisation, and so (despite the exorbitant costs of membership) very
likely considers it to be a satisfactory vehicle as far as
'non-discriminatory' is concerned.

an entirely artificial cost barrier is not generally deemed to be
'discriminating' by the BBC, even if in real terms it actually is.

> See sections 4.62, 4.72 and 4.74
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/our_work/canvas/canvas_conclusions.pdf
>
> I think this is sufficient to require the specification to be public.
> Mo disagrees, we will know for certain in less than 20 days time.

actually, no: it's not that I disagree. I'd be over the moon if you were right.

I don't think the BBC agrees with you, though.

M.