On 09/14 10:09 , Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-13-09 at 22:38 -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
> > Anyhow, this is something I should work on.  Do you need a solution
> > quickly?
>
> I know Carl said it's not urgent, so how about setting the target for
> the next BackupPC release?

it would be really nice if the code would check the number of backup
directories against the list present in the backups file, and see if it is
sane. If not, log that it's not sane, send an alert message to the admin,
and then rebuild the backups file.

while I'm yammering away here, there's a couple of other wishlist items that
would be really nice and make my life much less painful at times.

- send an alert message to the admin when the filesystem is too full to do a
  backup. Perhaps even send a warning message when the fullness reaches a
  certain threshhold.

- send *all* notification messages about machines not being backed up, to
  the admin as well as to the user listed in the hosts file. Sometimes I
  only find out about a machine's backups failing when the user complains (if
  I'm lucky...).

- send notification messages about a certain machine to all the users listed
  with that machine in the hosts file. that way it's possible to delegate
  notifications to multiple people, as well as authority.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator