I'm running out of disk space on my backup server, and it's run out of space
on a couple of occasions. when it does this, some hosts 'forget' all their old
backups -- those backups no longer appear in the pc/<hostname>/backups file.

I know the backups.old file has a copy of the last known-good backups file;
but what happens if that one is bad as well? (Machine runs out of space,
space is freed, a running backup is shut down, a bad backup file is written
and clobbers the old backups.old file).

I think this has been discussed on the list in the past; but can someone
remind me how to rebuild a backups file based on the actual directories
present?

This is something that probably should be added to the docs.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator