i just did a restore of a directory (happily not because of
disaster, but because it was an easy way to get at some files
that live on a machine that's currently offline) and had a big
surprise.

i was accessing an incremental backup tree.  since all backups
are "filled", i was very surprised when my restored tree was
obviously incomplete.  then i remembered that i had created the
directory several days ago (but _after_ the most recent full
backup) by doing a "cp -a" of a neighboring directory (i was
cloning a build tree).  of course the date-preserving nature
of "cp -a" meant that my tar-based incremental backup didn't pick
up any files whose dates were older than the previous full, even
though those files had never been backed up.

no data was actually lost, and all is well, but now i'm curious --
would rsync have done the "right thing" in this case?

the only reason i don't use rsync is because it doesn't preserve
hard links, which i use fairly frequently.   but i may reconsider...

paul