I use rsync -vaHuSx --delete cpool /backup/cpool

It still explodes in size.  I can't necessarily use raid or dd because the drive sizes are different.  my external drive is much smaller than my actual backup drive.  At my backups current space usage, I can fit it on the external drive but I don't want to limit my actual backup drive to my externals size.  That's why I am trying to get rsync to work the way that I want it to.

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 13:02 -0800, David Rees wrote:
On 12/20/05, Jon Scottorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have everything running good with my backup system, but now I want to rsync all or
> /var/lib/backuppc to an external hard drive for an offsite backup.
>  When I run the rsync, everything syncs fine except the cpool directory.  If I do a du on
> /var/lib/backuppc/cpool it's size is 3.8 GB.  If I do it on me external device, the size is 104
> GB.  So I keep running out of disk space on my external drive.  How do I keep the sizes the
> same?

cpool uses hardlinks. rsync by default does not preserve hardlinks
which is why the copy you make explodes in size. If you specify -H to
rsync, it will preserve hard-links, but expect it to take a LONG time.

More common backup methods is to use a RAID1 array for the backup
pool, when you want to make a backup, insert a drive and let the RAID
sync up the backup drive. Another method is to backup the raw
partition image.

-Dave