On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 17:49, Brandon Prudent wrote:
> So you're saying use that tool (is there any documentation on it or is
> it a scratch n' sniff type deal?) against my already archived files
> and then put up the result? That must create a mirror of the files,
> which would require I have twice the capacity of my backups, minus the
> stuff I don't want.

The backuppc directory copies are compressed and internally
hardlinked to eliminate duplicates.   If it is very small
you might be able to rsync the whole thing, but it tends
to be a very slow operation because there is not an efficient
way to detect and recreate the hardlinks.

> I guess the only other solution to that would be some method of
> specifying which files to be put up to rsync or similar .... wait ...
> I think .... yes, that may just be a good idea. Using rsync, specify
> the /backup directory, and ask it to exclude /this/file and
> /that/file. Any reason that wouldn't be a good idea?

In order to re-create the hardlinks you must copy the
entire directory including the cpool and pc subdirectories
in one operation and specify the -H option with rsync.  If
you do this it will probably take an unreasonably long time.
If you don't re-create the hardlinks (say by copying one
pc directory at a time) you may need 10x the space at the
destination.  This is a common issue and you'll find some
other approaches in the mail list archives, like doing
image copies of the disk and a tool to re-create the
pool links after copying a single pc directory over.
Note that any of these methods require a backuppc installation
at the remote side to be able to read the copied files.

The BackupPC_tarCreate tool makes a normal tar image of
one client at a time out of the specified backup files.
Then you can handle that like any normal backup copy.
Unfortunately that isn't very rsync-friendly.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]