Les Mikesell said:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 08:39, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > On 01/31 08:34 , Dan Pritts wrote:
> > >
> > > Veritas has this kind of functionality in their volume manager
product
> > > for Solaris, et al.  not cheap but it reportedly works well.
> >
> > there's also a company called Constant Data that has a similar product.
> > have no experience with it, other than sitting down and having a beer &
> > burger with a sysadmin from there.
>
> What would be really nice would be if you could make an LVM snapshot
> and rsync the snapshot as a partition image to a remote file or
> partition while the source system keeps working.

I've been wondering recently about what technology online backup services
use. Both LiveVault and AmeriVault do nearly instantaneous and continuous
copies of the data that changes. Sounds like something akin to DRBD, which
is constantly intercepting writes to disk, rather than periodical
snapshots, as with LVM. Besides that they do some kind of "deltaing", which
should further reduce necessary bandwidth. A technology like that would
spread replication rather than being concentrated to specific backup
windows, so it's more likely to work well over a slow connection.

Bernardo Rechea