thanks Dan.
Veritas is definitely good and we are using their product at the moment for backup. However we also want to build a off-site system so in case of something happens to the system, we'll still have production server working.

anyway, according to this http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kripac/orac-nbd/  , seems NBD works with Solaris.
oh well, u r probably right.

Thanks for your time.

Travis

On 2/21/06, Dan Pritts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:17:31AM -0500, Travis Wu wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I've took a look of NBD and I guess I could map the drive (at client side)
> and create a mirror RAID 1 by using it with the drive on the server.  Does
> it sounds right?

that was what i was thinking of, although as someone else mentioned
you need to understand the difference between a RAID and a backup.

> I do want to try this but I am backing up a Solaris box and the file system
> is vxfs/ufs.  Does it matter?

Yes, it matters.  nbd is a linux thing.  Call your veritas rep for their
network mirroring product if mirroring meets your needs.

danno