Hi,

On Friday 17 February 2006 07:53, Craig Barratt wrote:
> David Brown writes:
> > I've been using backuppc for several days, and I really like the concept
> > behind it.  The web interface is very helpful.  However, I'm having a
> > very hard time figuring out what to store the backup filesystem on.
> >
> > I've tried both XFS and ReiserFS, and both have utterly abysmal
> > performance in the backup tree.  The problem has to do with the
> > hardlinked trees.
> >
> >   - Most filesystems optimize directories by using inodes that are stored
> >     near one another for files in the same directory.  This allows access
> >     to files in the same directory to be localized on the disk.

I've tried a lot of filesystems with backuppc and I've run across the same
things you have. I've stuck with reiserfs (version 3) because it was the
"least of all evils" (that's quite a literal translation from a Dutch
proverb, I hope you understand what I mean). Ext3 bogged down completely when
the amount of files started to get larger (no dir_index), JFS was also slow
and had a memory leak when I tried it, XFS worked ok, but then I had trouble
with my hardware raid and had to rebuild the filesystem using the xfs repair
tools and that just didn't work. No such experience yet with reiser, so I
stuck with that.

That being said: as you are still testing if I understand your mail correctly,
could you do me a favor and do a test with ext3 with dir_index and -T news?
Dir_index doesn't provide you with an advantage in the general case (if I
read the benchmarks published all over the internet correctly), but it may
work here. I sadly don't have enough spare hardware to build a serious
testmachine. I would much rather use ext3 if I can than a "special"
filesystem, for all kinds of reasons.
I would also like to see how reiser 4 performs, but as far as I know, that's
still in a state of flux (and still not added to the standard kernel source),
so I'm a bit reluctant to let it have control of my backups. But if someone
has experience with it on backuppc, please tell me about it :)

> >   - BackupPC creates the files in the backup directory, and then
> > hardlinks them, by hash, into the pool.  This means that each of the
> > entries in a pool directory has an inode (and data) on a diverse part of
> > the disk. Just statting the files in a pool directory is very slow.  'du'
> > of the pool directory takes several hours on any filesystem I've tried it
> > on.

I don't think ext3 with dir_index will be a "miracle fs", but I'm rather
curious how it behaves in this situation.

> >   - Other than the first backup directory, the backup directories aren't
> >     much better, since most of the files are hardlinks back to the pool.
>
> You're exactly right.  A major performance limitation of BackupPC
> is that backup directories tend to have widely dispersed inodes.
> Yes, just stat()ing files in a single directory involves lots of
> disk seeks.
>
> A custom BackupPCd client is being developed, and once it is
> ready I'm curious to see if sorting readdir contents by inode
> number on the server will help the performance.

It worked wonders for the nightly runs. I used to run the version made by
someone who ordered the files by inode and that worked fine. I only stopped
using it because I had to tinker with it every time backuppc was upgraded and
the newer versions of backuppc don't have to process the whole (c)pool in one
go. So I let backuppc only do a small portion each night, which solves my
problem just the same.

Regards,

Guus Houtzager