On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 12:46, David Brown wrote:

> There are no links.  Each file has one entry, under the pool directory.
> All that has to be managed is creation and deletion of these files.  It is
> not difficult to be able to easily recover from a crash in either of these
> scenarios, as long as ordering is done right.

But you need database entries pointing to these files and the
database entry and file creation steps must be coordinated along
with removal of all files when the last database entry is expired.
If you crash during any of the steps, how do you find the
incomplete part?

> > Add enough RAM to hold the pool inodes.  That's what your
> > SQL vendor is going to say about the database too.
>
> It doesn't help.  I have plenty of RAM.  The problem is that over the
> course of the day, the pool nodes leave the cache.  Then, next pool scan,
> they get fetched, in a very out-of-order fashion.

Hmmm... maybe it would pay to have a periodic cron job to stat()
the pool files just to keep those inodes in cache.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]