On 03/15 11:28 , Khaled Hussain wrote:
> As far as I understand, with raid5, all raid5 partitions have to be the same
> size, so why aren't sda3, sdb1, sdc1 not the same size?

With linux software RAID, the partitions don't have to be the same size
(last I knew). You only get data protection up to the size of the smallest
partition tho. (I don't remember whether it continues filling up space on
the remaining drives, or whether it just runs out of space at that point
tho. I would suspect the latter).

I have a few pieces of advice for you:
- Avoid software RAID if possible, especially in a commercial environment.
  The cost of a 3ware controller pretty much covers the time saved when a
  disk dies and you don't have to spend a couple hours monkeying with the
  array. (Software RAID arrays sometimes make the box fall over anyway when
  a disk dies. Your data may be saved, but the box still crashes.)

- if you want a separate boot device for whatever reason, just put it on a
  wholly separate disk (or array of disks).  I would suggest putting your
  important data on the array, and then the rest of the OS on the other
  drive.  This way, if your boot/root disk dies, your important data is
  saved. If your array has problems, the boot/root disk provides the tools
  to fix it.

- you can back up your boot/root drive with something like Mondo
  http://www.mondorescue.com/. Make that backup to CD, and when you need it,
  just put the CD in the drive, boot from it, and restore your system in
  whole or in part.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator