On 3/15/06, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 03/15 10:50 , Matt wrote:
> >    Furthermore, I  find the setup with raid controllers tedious: The
> > modules often don't come with the distro and more often than not they do
> > not load at boot forcing me  to tweak /etc/rc.local.
>
> haven't had that problem with 3ware controllers. linux kernels have had the
> drivers built in by default for years now.
>
> the 9000 series controllers require a 2.6.14 kernel or better, but that's
> the only issue I've had recently.

My problem with 3ware controllers is that the 3dm monitoring software
that works for a recent kernel does not support for older controllers
(6xxx series in my case). I've got a couple 6xxx controllers and while
they are still chugging along fine, the only way I get notified of
drive failules is to watch /var/log/messages as I can't figure out how
to get the RAID status through /proc or /sys.

That's my only beef with the 3ware controllers that I've had, I
haven't used any of the newer ones yet.

-Dave