Hi All,

I have recently added about 15-20 hosts to the backup system, which was
already backing up about that number of hosts nightly. My $Conf{MaxBackups}
was set to 2 but is now set to 4. Also, hardlinks were not being created in
the cpool because it was on a different filesystem than that of the PCs and
therefore I had corrected these and so hard links are now being created.
Also, an important note, I am using smb to backup windows servers (NT) (to
avoid installing cwrsync) and rsync and ssh to backup all new linux/bsd
boxes since none have rsyncd installed and have endless dependencies when
trying to install it.

I would imagine at first instance that a machine using rsync+SSH is put on
backup but the auto-login setup in .ssh is incorrect and so is prompting for
a password on the server and so delaying the backup...is this possible? But
the logs dont seem to hint at this possiblity.

Ontop of all that my backupPC server has slowed down dramatically...

Now it seems that the consequence of some or all of these actions is a
constant running of backup at night and for most part of the day. Possible
solutions seem to be:
- increase MaxBackups variable further
- decrease the WakeupSchedule variable since the clients are constantly on
the network; currently backupPC wakes up every two hours between 18:00 and
7:00, but I think I can change it to 2 or 3 times in the night(?); I am
assuming here that unneccesary wakeups waste time?!
- increase the BackupPCNightlyPeriod variable from 8 (current) to about 16
to further shorten the time it takes to traverse the pool (keeping in mind
the pool will grow since links have only just been started to be created).
- increase the FullPeriod and IncrePeriod variables so that the server is
not congested every night; current settings are 6.97 and 0.97 respectively,
but how can set incrementals for different machines to happen on alternate
days so I get load balancing on the backupPC server?

Anyway, please could anyone suggest why I am having this problem and how to
overcome my problem and/or comment on the above proposal in terms of
effectiveness, etc.

BTW

1. How can I clear all pending backups other than by going into each host
being backed up and stopping it?

2. At every wakeup, does backupPC reload the per-pc configs? Or do I need to
restart backupPC everytime I update a per-pc config?

Kindest Regards

Khaled