Cameron writes:
> On 8/14/06, Craig Barratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Cameron writes:
> >
> > > I'm thinking of changing perms, owner, group, and maybe times all to
> > > no-OPTIONs. However, I'm concerned about how this will affect the
> > > program as I don't understand how File::RsyncP works, as it says in
> > > the comments. Can I go ahead and do this? Do I need times off or just
> > > the owner/group/perms off?
> >
> > File::RsyncP doesn't understand the -no options.
> > Just try removing:
> >
> > '--perms',
> > '--owner',
> > '--group',
> >
> > I have't tested that before, so please tell me whether
> > it works.
>
> I commented out those options, and did a full backup with Windows (so
> I guess commenting the options works fine). I got entries like this
> (lots of same and pool, a few create for empty file, and all the
> usuall create d for directories):
> create 644 0/0 0 Filename
> same 644 0/0 2249 Filename
> pool 644 0/0 1117184 Filename
> create d 755 0/0 0 Dirname
>
> So it looks like I dropped the user/group, but the file permissions
> are still there. Then I did an incremental in Windows, which was the
> same as before (short and sweet). Then a long incremental in Linux
> gave entries like this (lots of same, lots of create for empty file,
> the usual create d):
> create 555 0/0 0 Filename
> same 555 0/0 41812 Filename
> create d 555 0/0 0 Directory
>
> This is exactly as before, so removing the options from rsync really
> had no effect on the linux backup. Just for completeness, here are the
> backup size summaries, full (17) and first incr (18) are on Windows,
> other (19) is on linux:
> 17 full 4731 2140.6 10.10 4731 2140.6
> 292 0.1
18 incr 0 0.0 0.00 0 0.0 3 0.0
> 19 incr 4731 2140.6 16.59 4731 2140.6 5 0.0
>
> I feel like I'm closer, but I don't understand why rsync seems to be
> preserving the permissions on Windows even when I've told it not to.
> Any ideas? Do I need to empty my pool in order for the rsync option
> changes to be effective? Could this be related to how I'm mounting the
> Windows filesystem under linux (with options
> ro,users,auto,group,umask=0222)?
Yes, the umask will ensure that the file mode is different
in linux vs windows.
In any case, File::RsyncP ignores the --perms flag.
There are two places in the installed File/RsyncP.pm file (look
in perl's path from perl -V, or otherwise modify the file in a
File::RsyncP distribution and reinstall) where you will see this
line:
&& $f->{mode} == $attr->{mode}
You should replace both lines with something like this:
&& (!$rs->{rsyncOpts}{perms} || $f->{mode} == $attr->{mode})
I'll fix this in the next release of File::RsyncP.
Craig
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
BackupPC-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/backuppc-users
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/