Cameron writes:

> On 8/14/06, Craig Barratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Cameron writes:
> >
> > > I'm thinking of changing perms, owner, group, and maybe times all to
> > > no-OPTIONs. However, I'm concerned about how this will affect the
> > > program as I don't understand how File::RsyncP works, as it says in
> > > the comments. Can I go ahead and do this? Do I need times off or just
> > > the owner/group/perms off?
> >
> > File::RsyncP doesn't understand the -no options.
> > Just try removing:
> >
> >     '--perms',
> >     '--owner',
> >     '--group',
> >
> > I have't tested that before, so please tell me whether
> > it works.
>
> I commented out those options, and did a full backup with Windows (so
> I guess commenting the options works fine). I got entries like this
> (lots of same and pool, a few create for empty file, and all the
> usuall create d for directories):
>   create   644       0/0           0 Filename
>   same     644       0/0        2249 Filename
>   pool     644       0/0     1117184 Filename
>   create d 755       0/0           0 Dirname
>
> So it looks like I dropped the user/group, but the file permissions
> are still there. Then I did an incremental in Windows, which was the
> same as before (short and sweet). Then a long incremental in Linux
> gave entries like this (lots of same, lots of create for empty file,
> the usual create d):
>   create   555       0/0           0 Filename
>   same     555       0/0       41812 Filename
>   create d 555       0/0           0 Directory
>
> This is exactly as before, so removing the options from rsync really
> had no effect on the linux backup. Just for completeness, here are the
> backup size summaries, full (17) and first incr (18) are on Windows,
> other (19) is on linux:
> 17     full    4731    2140.6          10.10           4731    2140.6
>  292     0.1
18      incr    0       0.0     0.00    0       0.0     3       0.0
> 19    incr    4731    2140.6  16.59   4731    2140.6  5       0.0
>
> I feel like I'm closer, but I don't understand why rsync seems to be
> preserving the permissions on Windows even when I've told it not to.
> Any ideas? Do I need to empty my pool in order for the rsync option
> changes to be effective? Could this be related to how I'm mounting the
> Windows filesystem under linux (with options
> ro,users,auto,group,umask=0222)?

Yes, the umask will ensure that the file mode is different
in linux vs windows.

In any case, File::RsyncP ignores the --perms flag.

There are two places in the installed File/RsyncP.pm file (look
in perl's path from perl -V, or otherwise modify the file in a
File::RsyncP distribution and reinstall) where you will see this
line:

    && $f->{mode}  == $attr->{mode}

You should replace both lines with something like this:

    && (!$rs->{rsyncOpts}{perms} || $f->{mode} == $attr->{mode})

I'll fix this in the next release of File::RsyncP.

Craig