Nicolai Nordahl Rasmussen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi Nicolai

> Hmm..very strange.
>
> I just tested it again by logging on to the backup server, su to backuppc and
> did
> ping -c 1 merkur
>
> No reply...It's like it just hangs there...the request never actually got to
> the firewall (at least that's what my logs tell me).
>
> I hit ping -c 1 merkur again, and all was well......very very very
> odd :(

Take a look at /etc/host.conf, you should have "order hosts,bind" in
it, to resolve names preferably in /etc/hosts.

You could try to use -W in ping to set a higher timeout, but I don't
think the problem is there, maybe in can find a way to make it work,
but I am quite sure there is something wrong.

For your tests, you could try something like this:

while [ 1 ]; do
    ping -c 1 -W 2 merkur || echo Ping Problem
    sleep 1s
done

Gook luck,
Rodrigo