Jason writes:

> Hi all.  Nobody has responded to my other messages requesting help, so
> I'm trying again.  I'm using the 2.1.2 version.
>
> I have one Windows machine that is backing up flawlessly (other than
> NT_SHARING_VIOLATIONs that are unavoidable).  I have another that is
> failing when it gets to a very large file.  Because it failed before, I
> increased the ClientTimeout to 720000 (10x higher than default).  I
> deleted everything about the host that was failing and started again.
>
> Contents of file /var/backuproot/pc/mothership/LOG, modified 2006-11-06
> 18:52:34
>
> 2006-11-05 02:46:59 full backup started for share CDrive
> 2006-11-06 18:52:28 Got fatal error during xfer (Unexpected end of tar
> archive)
> 2006-11-06 18:52:33 Backup aborted (Unexpected end of tar archive)
> 2006-11-06 18:52:34 Saved partial dump 0
>
> This took 40 hours to run, and backed up a lot, but when it got to a 12gb
> file, it choked.
>
> Here's the XferLog Errors:
>
> Error reading file \video\2005\video2005raw.avi : Call timed out: server did
> not respond after 20000 milliseconds
> Didn't get entire file. size=12776697964, nread=-1340081072

The first problem is the timeout.  That could be due to anti-virus SW
that completely checks a file (or directory) before you can open the
file.  You can increase the timeout but you need to recompile smbclient.

The second problem is a 32-bit roll-over bug in smbclient that only happens
after you get the "Didn't get entire file" error when smbclient tries to pad
the tar file.  A bug and fix are filed on samba's bugzilla, but I doubt the
fix has been applied yet.

Craig