On 11/10 06:37 , GATOUILLAT Pierre-Damien wrote:
> > I probably did something like:
> >
> > old-machine# dd if=/dev/vg00/lv00 | gzip | nc newhost 8888
> > new-machine# nc -l -p 8888 | gunzip | dd of=/dev/vg00/backup
>
> I'm not sure that gzip works good with dd. I tested a dd / gzip and dd
> alone, dd alone was faster :)

that could very well be. it all depends how fast your link is and how much
idle time your CPU has. your mileage almost certainly will vary. :)
I could very well have done the wrong thing there, if I did indeed use some
compression on the link.

> The inconvenient with dd is that it copies all bloc, even those
> unused... I read something if there is unused space on the partition,
> create a file with /dev/zero, and next use gzip

ah. yes. good idea.
I don't remember if I did that before dd'ing the partition across the wire,
but I might have.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile.img
<wait until we run out of disk space and dd exits>
# rm bigfile.img

it really does make a disk partition much smaller after compression.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator