Yes, I created a user called "backup" and they are a member of the backup operators group. I gave that user a password. I am not escaping the $ but use a command similar to what you show below and get "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED". Again, If I change the command from "/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gandolf\\C$ -U backup" to "/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gandolf\\Eric -U backup" it connects to the Eric folder just fine.

I don't know that much about sharing and networking but it's like the default share on "C" is messed up.

What next?

Jason Hughes wrote:
Eric,

You may need to do two things... Are you creating a user on the Windows box that is a member of the backup operators group? You can either do that, or use the administrator account. In either case, you will probably want to use a username that exists on the Windows machine that *requires a password*. Using an account that has a blank password may work only for certain folders, but fail when accessing others, inexplicably.

Second, don't escape the $.  I just did this:
/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\dev1\\C$ -U jhughes

It worked fine. However, if I use a username that doesn't exist on the windows machine, it gives NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Good luck,
JH

Eric Snyder wrote:
Using the following commands in a terminal su'd as backuppc the following commands work or don't work:
*Works:*
/usr/bin/smbclient -L \\\\gandolf\\ -U backuppc
This produces a list of shares on the XP machine gandolf.

*Also Works:*
/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gandolf\\Eric -U backuppc
This connect ti the share Eric on the XP machine gandolf.

*But does not work (frustrated Grrrrr):*
/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gandolf\\C/$ -U backuppc
Gives me "NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\gandolf\\C\$ -U backuppc
Gives me "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

How to fix?