> Yes, of course. rsync is just the transfer method.

The reason I asked was because with smb method (which is the only
thing I've tried so far), new files are only backed up during full
backup, not incremental backup.

>From http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backup_basics:
"For SMB and tar, BackupPC backups all files that have changed since
one hour prior to the start of the last successful full backup. Rsync
is more clever: any files whose attributes have changed (ie: uid, gid,
mtime, modes, size) since the last full are backed up. Deleted, new
files and renamed files are detected by Rsync incrementals. In
constrast, SMB and tar incrementals are not able to detect deleted
files, renamed files or new files whose modification time is prior to
the last full dump. "

According to this, then, rsync will backup new files even during
incremental backups - unlike for smb. ... which then makes me wonder -
how is the full backup different from an incremental backup when using
rsync method.  Thanks to all for all replies.