dbp lists wrote:
> The reason I asked was because with smb method (which is the only
> thing I've tried so far), new files are only backed up during full
> backup, not incremental backup.

That should not be the case if 'new' files are defined as having
timestamps later than the last run.  There are many ways of
copying files that maintain an older timestamp - perhaps those
are what are being missed.

> According to this, then, rsync will backup new files even during
> incremental backups - unlike for smb. ... which then makes me wonder -
> how is the full backup different from an incremental backup when using
> rsync method.  Thanks to all for all replies.

An incremental rsync quickly skips files where the timestamp and
length match your existing copy.  In the 2.x versions incrementals
aways work against the last full backup and repeated incrementals
transfer increasingly more data.

A full does a block-checksum comparison of all existing files and
also establishes a new base for subsequent runs.

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]