Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>> thanks...
>> but if I have 2 drives like that, what should I do if one fails?
>
> if the data drive fails, then you have the OS drive to use to recover your
> data (if possible); or at least to quickly set up the new data drive.
>
> if the OS drive fails, you put in a new drive, boot with knoppix, install
> backuppc to knoppix's ramdrive, and restore your OS drive from backup.
>
> it *is* best to have a redundant drive array in any situation. for buisness
> use, a 3ware RAID controller will more than pay for itself the first time
> you have a drive problem.

Linux RAID1 mirrors work nicely too, and can actually mirror over
more than two drives.  I use 2 internal 250 gig drives and once
a week add a matching external firewire drive and let it sync, which
takes a couple of hours, then swap it offsite.  I keep a laptop
with backuppc installed for quick access to the external drive. There
might be a better way to do this with LVM now but this approach should
work up to the 750 gig drives that are available now.

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]