After having upgraded to the 3.0.0 Beta 3 (I believe I did it all
correctly), all is dead.

Upon attempting to access the gui, the initial image is missing, then
below that, "Error: Unable to read config.pl or language strings!!",
then below that, an empty selection box...

Upon attempting to restart the service, here is what I receive:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/init.d# ./backuppc restart
 * Restarting
backuppc...                                                       No
process in pidfile `/var/run/backuppc/BackupPC.pid' found running; none
killed.
No language setting
BackupPC::Lib->new failed

This makes me quite firmly believe that the service is no longer
running, or operable.  Any ideas what happened???