[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I routinely hit 100% CPU utilization on the Via C3 1GHz Mini-ITX systems I use as backup servers. I will grant you that the C3 is not the most efficient processor, but I am definitely CPU-limited. I too have 512MB RAM, but the machines are not swapping. And that's with 1 backup at a time running (there is only one system to back up).
[...]
Like I said, these machines are not swapping during a backup. They're just busy. Is this not normal? Is there a way to improve this?

Yes, do not use VIA C3 processors or motherboards. They are severely underpowered at any clock rate. :-)

Seriously, I looked into using them for some dedicated processing machines, and when I saw the benchmarks, ran screaming. They make fine toy web servers, mp3 streamers or maybe low-end office use/browsing. Chances are, they're spending most of their time calculating hashes, where it is failing to perform. Like I said, I have a PPro 200 doing two backups simultaneously, one machine of which takes about 25-30 hours on a full backup to backup ~120gb over 802.11g *the first time only*, but afterwards even full backups only take about 2 hours. The data is a mix between many many small files (typical windows development box) and a few large video files (video editing station). The GUI is slower during this time, but not unusable. I am running mod_perl, though, which I'm told matters a lot.

A system with only small files will have more work to do and more packets to send, and more hashes to compute, so YMMV. If that is your bottleneck, that is. I don't know the VIA chipset personally, so perhaps it has real problems with memory throughput. If it doesn't have a dedicated DMA controller, it will have to move memory using the CPU, which will show up as usage the same as running a program would. Being a mini-itx, I would suspect this.

It would be nice if there were a chart of people's backup system configurations and their backup time performance over a specific network type, just so users have some idea what to expect. The variability in performance might make more sense with more data points.

Thanks,
JH