Rob Shepherd wrote:

>> The backups are not stored in a format suitable for direct access even
>> if suitable network shares and permissions could be set up.  They are
>> compressed and all duplicates are linked together.  You can still grab a
>> copy from anywhere through the browser.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but if the files are not in a "direct access"
> format, then how does rsync work?
> rsync compares local and remote file trees before sending deltas etc.
>
> Does the rsync perl module do some translation magic or somesuch?

Yes, it does some serious magic to uncompress on the fly while chatting
with a stock rsync at the other end.  Craig must be an insane
programming genius to have tackled a project like that in perl and
succeeded.

>> I prefer to have the
>> 'real' copies in a stable location like that but you might use it as an
>> alternative instead - but it is going to be up to the user to keep track
>> of where the current version is stored.
>
> Yes, real copies on ZFS would be nice, however I need to cater for users
> who work on the train, in the airport etc and can't necessarily VPN all
> the time. As you say, if it was left up to the user to sort out
> versioning, we may as well format C:\ now :)

If they are doing things where versioning makes sense, you should
provide a CVS or subversion repository and arrange things so the only
way any work is considered 'done' is when it is committed.  If it is
more like spreadsheets and documents, something like 'unison' might work
with a server location holding the matching copy.  Unison is like a
bi-directional rsync that keeps track of where the latest changes were
done.

> It there a way of exploiting the BackupPC_Restore to dump to a local
> folder, even if piped through tar/gtar/star?
>
> Not through the web interface, but from _my_ terminal.

The generic way is with the command line BackuPC_tarCreate which you can
find in the documentation.  You can pipe its output directly into a tar
-x where you want it.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]