>> Does the rsync perl module do some translation magic or somesuch?
>
> Yes, it does some serious magic to uncompress on the fly while chatting
> with a stock rsync at the other end.  Craig must be an insane
> programming genius to have tackled a project like that in perl and
> succeeded.

wow, maximum respect for that. Good effort Craig.

> If they are doing things where versioning makes sense, you should
> provide a CVS or subversion repository and arrange things so the only
> way any work is considered 'done' is when it is committed.  If it is
> more like spreadsheets and documents, something like 'unison' might work
> with a server location holding the matching copy.  Unison is like a
> bi-directional rsync that keeps track of where the latest changes were
> done.

Tried to provide a group-wide svn structure to handle collab work and
remove all the probs with group-shares.  Seems unfeasable without copious
training for users. Would be nice. The more techie oriented users deal
with it no probs so it isn't canned completely.  Someday maybe....

>> It there a way of exploiting the BackupPC_Restore to dump to a local
>> folder, even if piped through tar/gtar/star?
>>
>> Not through the web interface, but from _my_ terminal.
>
> The generic way is with the command line BackuPC_tarCreate which you can
> find in the documentation.  You can pipe its output directly into a tar
> -x where you want it.

Thanks Les,

I'll take a closer look.

Cheers for your advice.