nestor picasse wrote:

> That's what I thought, but this is really the ideal
> (essential?) feature (almost) every backup software is
> lacking!
>
> As rsync sends only the modified bytes, there is a big
> opportunity to store only these bytes and not the full
> file!
>
> This would be a huge advantage: imagine you use
> whatever database for a specific software. You
> wouldn't have to always play with the database in
> order to find out what has changed and generate the
> corresponding file, you could just make a dump of the
> whole database and rsync would do the job for you!
> These database tricks are nightmares as every software
> manufacturer use their own...

Disk space is pretty cheap these days, but I suppose that depends on the
size of your database dump after compression.  I'd recommend translating
the concept into the dollars it would save to see how much effort it is
worth.

> I know a commercial solution based on this feature:
> one of the claim is that the incremental backup
> becomes so low in terms of volume of data that it
> easily enables for remote archiving with a classical
> high speed internet connection!

Rdiff-backup has this feature, but you lose compression and pooling of
common files across machines. http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

> So may I ask again: is it (could it) be planned for a
> future backuppc release?

The idea has been kicked around on the mail list before, but so far I
haven't seen any plans mentioned.  If it is enough of a problem to be
worth the effort you might exclude the directory holding your database
dumps from backuppc and run rdiff-backup there instead.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]