Brien Dieterle wrote:

> Looks like we're all waiting for Rsync 3.0
> <http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/NEWS>to be released, which
> may or may not actually solve our problems :-)
>
> Oh, and it sounds like we're really talking about adding redundancy, not
> "backups", which might imply having revisions, etc.  If your pool gets
> corrupted or deleted, you better know about it before your Rsync job
> trashes your copy-- if you are using drbd you are already toast :-)
>
> So, I think the word is: don't bother.  Use the archive features in
> backuppc to archive your machines to USB or other offline media.  :-)

In some situations you can set up VPN access if it doesn't already exist
and just let a remote instance of backuppc run independently using rsync
as the protocol, hitting all the same targets. You might need to make
the initial backup run on the LAN, then move the server offsite, or add
one machine at a time over weekends to get the initial copies, but if
you can keep up afterwards it eliminates any single point of failure
like you would have copying your on-site archive.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]