In the message dated: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:09:49 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Dan Pritts on
<[BackupPC-users] WARNING regarding using solaris with UFS as your backuppc ser
ver> were:
=> Hi all -
=>
=> I've been running solaris 10 as my backuppc server for quite a while
=> now.

I ran BackupPC, using Solaris 10 (e250, 6x73GB) and UFS for about 1 1/2 years.
[I don't have that system now, so I can't give you more specifics about my
configuration.]

I had about 250GB of real files (over 400GB in the virtual pool). I never had
any disk corruption.

=>
=> It mostly has worked fine.
=>
=> However, recently, I have frequently been bitten by solaris UFS filesystem
=> bugs; the filesystem becomes corrupted for no good reason.

Hmmm....

=>
=> I'd blame my hardware if i hadn't had similar experiences several years
=> ago (on solaris) with an application that was written to use flat files
=> as a "database".

I've administered Solaris for over 12 years, and have never seen the kind of
filesystem corruption that you describe--aside from hardware probelms. I'd
seriously examine your hardware (not just the disk subsystem, but memory as
well).

=>
=> the filesystem just didn't like lots and lots of small files and the

Huh? UFS is fine with "lots and lots" of small files--and performs much better
than ext[23]fs under similar circumstances. The filesystem workload you're
describing is typical of some mail servers, and many NNTP servers--both common
applications for Solaris.

=> system panicked every few weeks, and fsck took FOREVER.  I'm guessing

Well, yes, fsck will take a very long time. Do you have journalling turned on
as a filesystem mount option?

What is the average size of your files? Have you tuned the file system (block
size, number of inodes, etc.) for that type of file?

=> it doesn't like lots of hard links, either, and my fscks have taken
=> over two days (admittedly, i am using slow disks).

Have you considered using ZFS, since you're running Solaris 10?

=>
=> I'm converting my system to run on linux as i write this.

I'd run extensive, long term (multi-day) tests of memory/cpu/disk systems
first, to rule out any hardware issues.

=>
=> Anyway, just a word of warning.  I wouldn't be surprised if nobody
=> else had ever run this on Solaris, and I'd like nobody else to
=> run into the problems I have.
=>
=> ps - converting to use ZFS would likely fix this set of problems, but
=> i'm nervous that it would introduce more, ZFS is just not mature yet.

Um, as far as I know, ZFS has been in general release for over a year already,
(and in
limited release since late 2004).

Mark

=>
=>
=> danno
=> --
=> Dan Pritts, System Administrator
=> Internet2
=> office: +1-734-352-4953 | mobile: +1-734-834-7224
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman