On 3/27/07, David Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can you try mounting the backup partition async so we can see if it
> really is read performance or write performance that is killing backup
> performance?
>
> I must wonder if ufs2 is really bad at storing inodes on disk...

I went and did some research on ufs filesystem performance and found this paper:
http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/FilesystemPerformance.pdf

There appears to be 4 different mount options related to data integrity:

sync: slowest, all writes synchronous
noasync: (default?) data asynchronous, metadata synchronous
soft updates: dependency ordering of writes to ensure on-disk consistency
async: fastest, all writes asynchronous

noasync seems to be the default. Evran, can you confirm that your
filesystem is mounted this way?

On Linux using ext3, the default mount option is "data=ordered" which
should be similar to soft updates in terms of performance. If you can
mount your backup partition in "soft updates" mode that should perform
best, much better than the default noasync mode for the type of writes
BackupPC does.

I wouldn't recommend mounting a partition async permanently because of
the risk to file system integrity.

-Dave