Evren Yurtesen wrote:
         Totals          Existing Files          New Files
Backup#         Type    #Files  Size/MB         MB/sec  #Files  Size/MB
#Files  Size/MB
245     full    152228  2095.2  0.06    152177  2076.9  108     18.3
246     incr    118     17.3    0.00    76      0.2     69      17.1

Can you post the duration that these backups took? All that these stats tell us is how much of your data is churning, and how big your average file size is.

I dont know if the problem is hard links. This is not a FreeBSD or Linux problem. It exists on both. Just that people using ultra fast 5 disk raid 5 setups are seeing 2mbytes/sec transfer rate means that backuppc is very very inefficient.

For example this guy is using Linux (problem is OS independent)
http://forum.psoft.net/showpost.php?p=107808&postcount=16

Er, RAID-5 is slower than a single disk except on sustained reads, which is not the typical case with BackupPC. I only use a single disk and get between 0.5mb/s and 10mb/s, depending on the client and its file size/file count distribution. The question is whether other people have gotten the system to work correctly under the same or worse conditions, and already that has been answered in the affirmative. Be prepared to accept that the software isn't broken just because you haven't gotten it working to your satisfaction in your specific situation... It could be rsync, UFS, BSD, or any number of other factors that are causing you grief.

Whatever, this is not the problem here.The fact is that, according to reiserfs developers reiserfs is more or less the same speed with ext2. I dont think the problem is related to any filesystem as it occurs on both Linux and FreeBSD

Your argument lacks logic. If a filesystem can be configured to be slow on multiple OS's, does that mean BackupPC is failing to do its job? No, it means multiple people have managed to set up a system that performs badly using it. That's not so uncommon. BackupPC does not exist in a vacuum: its performance is sensitive to the environment of the server and its clients. Many people are using it without issue, right here on this very list. The question you should be asking is, what makes your system perform badly? Start by picking out things that you do differently, or that definitely affect performance. Transport protocol (rsync, tar). UFS. BSD. Sync on your filesystem. Start changing those one at a time and measure the performance.

On Linux with raid setup with async io etc. people are getting slightly better results. I think ufs2 is just fine. I wonder if there is something in my explanations...The problem is backuppc. People are getting ~2mbytes/sec(was it 2 or 5?) speed with raid5 and 5 drives, using Linux. It is a miracle that backup even finishes in 24 hours using a standart ide drive.

If you want people to help you, it's probably best if you refrain from blaming the program until you have proof. So far, you have argued with people who provide evidence that the system works fine. It puts people on the defensive, and you may find people less willing to help you in the future. We do know BackupPC behaves well on other file systems and operating systems... maybe UFS or BSD is doing something poorly--how would you know they aren't? We have less data points to draw from there.

I suspect it has a lot more to do with what the MB/s stats really mean. Maybe Craig can give a precise definition?

This is like the 'Contact' movie. The sphere took 30 seconds to download but there were 18 hours of recording. If what you said was true and backuppc would be backing up very small amount of files and skipping most, then backups would probably take less time than 2-4 hours each.

With rsync in incremental backups, it still has to check the metadata for each file to determine the changed file set. With millions of files, it will take a while. If your host or server is low on memory for any reason, this may bog it down and start vm swapping. I would recommend trying out tar to see if the protocol behavior matters. Try different mount options that are for higher performance. Others have made similar suggestions as well.

Good luck,
JH