I'm wondering about this as well, as DLT-V4 only holds 160 gig of
backups.. when you're backing up full systems without the benefits of
hardlinks, that doesn't hold much.

I assume you're looking for something you can use as an emergency restore
in case the backuppc server dies or is otherwise unavailable...

I was thinking if you used a modified Backuppc_tarpccopy to create your
list of cpool files(or that script people were talking about to list
files.. or just read it out of the log files created by backuppc), and
then made a modified cpool with just the files you need for all the
systems you're backing up, you could create a .tar that would restore just
the modified cpool, and then your backuppc_tarpccopy dumps out the needed
references.  and then you use the standard backuppc tools to create a .tar
file out of that(decompressing the cpool files, etc)

you probably don't need hardlinks, wouldn't softlinks work in this case?
you're likely deleting the cpool file after anyways, so you don't care if
there's 4 or 40 computers linking to the modified cpool.

I'm picturing this could be done even in just regular bash.. create a list
of files with backuppc_tarpccopy, sort that file, run uniq on it.. now you
know which cpool files you need.. and then your tar created from
backuppc_tarpccopy will reference ../cpool/x/x/x/file, and that should
work?

and then redone properly in perl :)

Mike