Wojtek Swiatek wrote:
> My goal is to back up on my laptop some parts of the desktop when the
> laptop is available on the network (say, /etc to be backed up in
> C:\SERVER_BACKUP\etc).
> In other words, the backup store for "desktop" (which also hosts
> BackupPC) should be on the WinXP laptop.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to achieve this? I would be grateful for
> any pointers.

The trouble is that the windows machine won't do hard links so you won't
be able to do this the traditional backuppc way.  I'd recommend that you
backup the gentoo machine with itself (I'd recommend using tar with sudo
permissions as the backup transfer method) and then periodically use the
laptop to navigate to the BackupPC web interface and download a tar
archive of a recent backup (maybe keep a couple if you have the space)
and keep those files on the laptop in a spot that won't be backed up
again by the gentoo box.

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people
for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him
who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were
not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received
mercy, but now you have received mercy. ~1 Peter 2:9-10