Wojtek Swiatek wrote:
> Thank you for the hint. I understand the limitations of WinXP with
> hardlinks, but at the same time  I would like to make backups as
> automatic as possible (I have the bad feeling that I will forget to
> download the .tar files you mention).
>
> Would there be a way to backup on an SMB mounted filesystem (which
> physically is on the laptop) directly into a .tar file? In that case I
> would not need to browse and download it manually.

A less manual way would be to have the BackupPC server mount the SMB
share, use BackupPC_Restore (I think - I haven't ever done this mind
you, so I'm just speaking hypothetically!) and have it place the
resultant .tar file somewhere on the laptop's SMB share, and then
unmount.  You could use cron to do this regularly and automagically.
Hope this helps!

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people
for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him
who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were
not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received
mercy, but now you have received mercy. ~1 Peter 2:9-10