> What are your rsync options?
> I'd be curious to see the XferLOG file with $Conf{XferLogLevel} set to
4.

Craig, the backup command is: $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l
<userid> $host $rsyncPath $argList+';

Clearly, I am blind (:-).  The symlinks are being backed up, although not
flagged as directories.  Backuppc also does not recurse into the target
directory.  Here is an extract from the XferLOG for a normal directory:

attribSet(dir=f.%2fbioeducation, file=images)
  create d 755 10102/600        4096 images
attribSet(dir=f.%2fbioeducation, file=images)

and a symbolically linked directory:

attribSet(dir=f.%2fbioeducation, file=maintenance)
  pool   l 777 10102/600          77 maintenance
attribSet(dir=f.%2fbioeducation, file=maintenance)

I will do a restore of the common files and directories that are the
targets of the symlinks and then restore the symlinks themselves - that
will be the true test.
        Thanks! Norbert

PS.  Thanks for the fast response on the mixed-case host configuration
files.  It did throw me for a loop for a bit, until I noticed that the
host-specific section of the GUI did not show any configuration file.