Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rob Morin wrote on 18.10.2007 at 08:15:47 [[BackupPC-users] A tar restore
> issue, does not work on localhost]:
>> So i found this post , i forget where that mentioned to use a tarCreat
>> file via sudo to do localhost backups... that works fine but restoring
>> does not work, any help appreciated....  All other servers vis rsync
>> work just fine....
>
> let me put into a question what I gather from your post you might be asking:
>
> "I'm doing local backups with XferMethod tar via sudo and a helper script.
>  What do I need to observe when doing restores?"
>
> Well, first of all, you'll also need to use sudo. If the backuppc user
> doesn't have sufficient permissions for *reading* the files for backup, he
> almost definitely won't have sufficient permissions for *writing* them on
> restore.
>
> Second, such helper scripts are a very real security risk. There's just
> about no advantage, and it's easy to get things wrong. If the backuppc user
> has *write access* to the script, he (or rather an intruder gaining backuppc
> user priviledges) has immediate full root access to the system, simply by
> putting anything he wants into that script and executing it with 'sudo'.
> Even worse, *any other user* with write access to the script (by local or
> remote means) can alter it and simply wait for a scheduled backup to be run,
> thus executing his commands. With such a script, you *really* need to make
> sure that *only root* has write access to it. Even worse, you need to ensure
> that command injection is impossible (which it probably isn't). Otherwise an
> attacker does not even need write access to the script in order to abuse it.

Doesn't this security risk exist regardless of helper scripts?  The
backuppc user has write access to the pool, so can change/insert
anything there.  Then as long as the host machines are set up to accept
restores from the backuppc server, those modified/new files can be
uploaded.  Is there any way to protect against this?

-Rob