kindof

the username you put in the host file in backuppc only applies to the web
session you login to backuppc as

if i pick some random name(it does not have to be for a user on the system)

franko

and add that users to the htpasswd file

htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd franko

it will ask me for a password.  now franko can log in with that passwod

now, i can add franko to the host file

host         dhcp    user             moreUsers
yaakovlt    0         franko

now franko, and the backuppc admin user, can manage yaakovlt, but no one
else

if i change this to

host         dhcp    user             moreUsers
yaakovlt    0         franko          stevo

now franko, stevo, and backuppc can manage.

that make sense?