John Rouillard wrote:

>>> And similar results on the server side process. Maybe a deadlock
>>> somewhere? The ssh pipe appeared open. I set it up to forward traffic
>>> and was able to pass traffic from the server to the client.
>> Are these 2 different scenarios (the sigalarm and sigpipe)?
>
> Yes, I just started a new thread on the hang/sigalarm problem.
>> I don't
>> think I've ever seen a real deadlock on a unix/linux rsync although I
>> always got them on windows when trying to run rsync under sshd (and I'd
>> appreciate knowing the right versions to use if that works now).
>
> Well, its not really rsync -> rsync right, its File::RsyncP-> rsync.

In the windows case where I've had problems , rsync -> rsync behaves the
same (hanging when sshd is involved, working with rsync in daemon mode).

>> The
>> sigpipe scenario sounded like the remote rsync crashed or quit (perhaps
>> not being able to handle files >2gigs).  This looks like something
>> different.  Can you start the remote strace before the hang so you have
>> a chance of seeing the file and activity in progress when the hang occurs?
>
> I can try. As far as the sigpipe issue, looks like there is a missing
> email in this thread. I was able to run an rsync of the 22GB file that
> was the active transfer atthe time of the SIGPIPE without
> problem. I'll repost that missing email.

If rsync works but File::RsyncP doesn't, I'd suspect a problem in your
perl or OS install where you might have some component not built for
large file support - perhaps the compression libraries.  But SIGPIPE
still sounds like the problem is at the other end.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]