On Tuesday 29 January 2008 11:53:41 Alexander Lenz wrote:
> Dear Users of BackupPC,
>
> I asked about this before, but nobody had an idea how to stop it, so please
> allow me to explain this again :
>
> Backuppc has a trash directory with some 20 - 30 sub-dirs that go like
> "1199747634_27557_0", each of those containing "fbackup" as next-level
> lower dir, and from hence on, this directory fbackup and all its
> sub-directories are owned by "138:136".

Trash directory should really be empty most of the time.

Did you install backuppc as user 138:136 and forget about it, because on my
server all backuppc files are owned by the user backuppc:backuppc

Check the config file for $Conf{BackupPCUser} = 'backuppc';

> Checking /etc/passwd, I didn't find any matching entry, the user backuppc
> has uid:gid 110:111 - therefore, the above error  "Permission Denied" -
> this annoying message (see subject) pollutes my daily log at high
> frequency.
> Now the real problem is that the whole /pc hierarchy is affected too, every
> /pc/pcname/fbackup directory and all ist sub-contents are 138:136, which
> makes the restore mechanism fail !
>
> Why on earth does backuppc create dirs/files with unknown arbitrary user
> id, so it cannot access or delete them later ?
> What might be wrong in the config and has to be changed ?

It doesn't there is some config error.

> Btw, manually chown'ing the whole directory structure has proved useless,
> all new files are again created for 138:136.

 If that's happening then backuppc must be installed as that user.

> Still hoping somebody's got a clue... ?

Tony