On Feb 15, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Mirco Piccin wrote:

> Hi.
>
>>> For the past couple years I have been constantly researching for a
>>> way to create an inexpensive backup server that gives at least 1TB
>>> in full RAID 1 redundancy while keeping $/GB as low as possible.
>
> Also i've done something that.
> I use a :
> - jetway motherboard J7F4K1G5D (1500 mhz, dual gigabit lan, dual sata
> channel, low consumption);
> - ram 1gb;
> - disk on module 1gb (for the OS - debian etch + backuppc);
> - controller sata with 4 additional sata port;
> - 4 hd barracuda 500gb sata2 (raid1, for backup data);
>
> It Works like a charm.
> I choose to use also a low noise psu + thermaltake case, but those are
> clearly not important.
> Without case and psu, the total price was very low (the 500 gb sata hd
> were in special sale :-D).

Mirco, Thanks for the suggestion of the jetway motherboard.  This
pretty close to what i am looking for.   The addition of the DOM (Disk
on Module) really makes this an ideal solution.

How is the performance of the Via C7 chip and the dual Gigabit?    How
have you configured the two gigabit ports?  Did you pair them?

Could you also share how you setup the DOM.  I am curious to find out
what you did for a swap partition (if you even used one at all).

Lastly what case /  power supply  did you end up sticking all this
stuff in?
thanks
-N