I guess that updatedb thing reinforces my arguement about not seeing any
mixed load tests.  ext3 handles these situations pretty good, maybe XFS does
not...

By the way, I read that EXT4 should allow for EXT3>EXT4 upgrades.  One(of
many) nice things about EXT4 is delayed writes which essentially means write
re-ordering to mask/reduce I/O bottlenecks.  Hopefully EXT4 will become
stable pretty soon!