I would think that the FUSE module would cause a pretty serious performance
hit consider FUSE is not well known for performance.  It make good sense to
have a FUSE module for viewing a pool but I think that the backup process
needs to stay far away from it...

As far as using native rsync3 vs modifying File::RsyncP is a good idea but
dont know how you would accomplish that outside of FUSE.