I am sure there are others that will chime in on this but as I see it you
have a few options.

1. Setup LVM and use the external disk as a permanent addition to the system
2. Mount the external disk as the directory that will house your desktops
backups

Honestly, I would be wary about using an external USB disk. Alot of them
have power saving features that will power it down after a short period and
could cause issues with your backups. I would invest in another internal
drive or even mount via NFS or iSCSI another drive in a separate machine.